Developed with Douglas Hunter, Author of The Self-Coached Climber
See the right side-bar for the coaching profiles and below for instructions on how to use this page.
Athletes or parents: This is a list of coaches and the value they provide to their athletes. Within, you will find the coach’s contact information and a description of how the coach uses the discipline(s) in their coaching.
Coaches: What approach do you take that other coaches or athletes may be interested in learning about? Highlight yourself! If you have thought about your approach to coaching in more than a casual manner, you may be added to our database of coaches by completing the form at the bottom of this page.
I encourage you to think about your approach from the perspective of the 5 disciplines below. But that doesn’t mean you need to be a “sports psychology” coach or a “cognitive-motor learning” coach. The disciplines are only a guide for helping you interact with this website by suggesting which sections of the research inventory you may be more interested in perusing.
The 5 Disciplines:
- Sports Psychology—The use of psychology to create optimal performance, emotional well-being, and long-term emotional frameworks for success and training in climbing.
- Cognitive-motor learning—The study of individual learning ability, processes for movement regarding reaction, perception and action (motor planning and execution), as well as processes for changing planned decision into automatic action.
- Kinesiology—The study of human movement as applied to climbing activity through a working knowledge of anatomy and the application of that knowledge to identify how muscles and joints interact during movement.
- Biomechanics—Overlapping with kinesiology, biomechanics quantifies the forces involved in climbing movement. It also looks at the human system’s interaction with external forces, such as the climbing wall and holds.
- Bioenergetics—The study of how the human energy production system works in climbing.
Discipline-Based Coaching Database Submission Form
Please complete the following form if you would like to be added to our public database. Once you submit the form, we will contact you to confirm receipt and ask you to provide a photo to be featured with your profile. If we do not contact you in a few days, feel free to contact us to follow up.